Major news: On Friday, August 12, Congress passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022—otherwise known as “The Climate Bill”—after a week of vetting sessions and votes.
To recap, much like The Kissing Booth on Netflix, this bill isn’t perfect but it is awesome. That’s because some huge support for people and planetary wellness is built into the legislature. That includes:
- A pledge to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40%
- $60 billion towards environmental justice priorities, including grants for underserved communities disproportionately impacted by climate disasters and pollution
- $40 billion in tax credits for clean energy manufacturing
- $27 billion for a “green bank,” which combines public and private funds to build clean infrastructure and energy facilities
- $20 billion to cut agricultural emissions from farming and ranching (an especially big deal since agriculture generates about 11% of US greenhouse gas emissions)
- A methane emissions reduction program to reward fossil fuel companies cutting down on their carbon footprint, and to penalize ones that aren’t
- A tax credit ($4000—$7500) for many who purchase electric cars
- Financial aid to make heating and cooling more efficient in residential buildings nationwide
- Further tax credits for biodiesel
As you may remember from Schoolhouse Rock, a bill only becomes a law after it goes to the Senate and The House of Representatives, and finally, to the President of the United States. And it’s happening partly because YOU used your voice to tell Congress that planetary health is important for the health of all people!
If this progress makes you ready to party, here’s even more good news: This tequila brand uses regenerative agriculture to give back to the Earth. (It's also great for margaritas. Enjoy.) 🥂